Heat pumps are devices that do more than what their name suggests. They have both heating and cooling capabilities. Heat pumps perform both these functions for a lower price than other devices like air conditioners.
However, to work properly, they require a thermostat. Fortunately, numerous technologically advanced thermostats would make your heat pump easier to use.
After doing a good amount of research, our team has compiled a list of the top 8 best thermostats for heat pumps available in the market.
Factors to consider in your search for the best thermostats for heat pump
Thermostats for heat pumps come in three types, having different functions. These three types are mechanical, smart, and electrical thermostats.
- Mechanical thermostats:
Thermostats of the mechanical type are the most budget-friendly. All you have to do is set a certain temperature and you can turn them on or off.
- Electric thermostats:
You can program electric thermostats by setting time, automatic or manual switching, and data scheduling.
- Smart thermostats:
A smart thermostat for a heat pump can easily be programmed and operated wirelessly through apps on your smartphone.
You need to make sure that the thermostat you pick is compatible with a heat pump. You also need to check its compatibility with your heat pump’s model, brand, and type.
- Installation and Wiring Requirements
Most heat pumps in the market are very easy to install and don’t require too much of an effort. However, you would need basic knowledge about wiring to set it up.
In case, you are unable to wire the thermostat, you can always call a technician to do it for you.
Only smart and electric thermostats can be programmed, while mechanical thermostats don’t have that feature. If you are interested in programable thermostats for heat pumps, then we suggest you avoid thermostats of the mechanical kind.
- WiFi Accessibility
The only kind of wifi heat pump thermostat is the smart one. You can easily use mobile apps to control such thermostats wirelessly. Such thermostats might even have the ability to learn your habits and can then operate the heat pump automatically.
- Design & Aesthetics
There are some thermostats in the market that aren’t designed with aesthetics in mind. However, some thermostats are designed to be attractive. These units have a sleek design with stylish controls.
- Price & Warranty
The price of the thermostats is also an important factor. Mechanical thermostats are the most affordable and you can easily get them for a low price. On the other hand, smart thermostats can be very expensive, costing hundreds of bucks. Whereas the price of electric thermostats is somewhere in the middle.
- Ease of installation
Most thermostats aren’t difficult to install and come with a detailed instruction manual. Manuals make it easier to understand which wire goes where. Some of them even come with labels you can use to make removing old ones and installing new thermostats a lot easier.
- User interface
Modern thermostats have sophisticated user interfaces instead of having numbered dials. However, being more sophisticated can also mean being more complex. Hence, you should look for a thermostat that is easy to operate and meets your needs.
☞ Item Weight: 0.65 pounds
☞ Product Dimensions: 4.5 x 3.5 x 0.88 inches
|Price on Amazon|
|Emerson Sensi WiFi|
☞ Item Weight: 0.85 pounds
☞ Product Dimensions: 3.75 x 5.88 x 1 inches
|Price on Amazon|
☞ Item Weight: 1.1 pounds
☞ Product Dimensions: 6 x 1 x 3.25 inches
|Price on Amazon|
|Nest T3017US Learning|
☞ Item Weight: 1 pound
☞ Product Dimensions: 3.3 x 1.21 x 3.3 inches
|Price on Amazon|
☞ Item Weight: 3.2 pounds
☞ Product Dimensions: 4.38 x 5.56 x 1.25 inches
|Price on Amazon|
☞ Item Weight: 1.8 pounds
☞ Product Dimensions: 7.6 x 7.5 x 3.3 inches
|Price on Amazon|
☞ Item Weight: 0.6 pounds
☞ Product Dimensions: 1.25 x 5.43 x 3.81 inches
|Price on Amazon|
1. Honeywell TH9320WF5003 – best thermostats for heat pump
- Item Weight: 0.65 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 4.5 x 3.5 x 0.88 inches
The Honeywell TH9320WF5003 is a heat pump thermostat that offers a wide range of features at an affordable price. It is a smart thermostat for a heat pump and works seamlessly. This unit allows to comfortably manage the climate of a home through a smartphone.
You can control the thermostat through its touch panel and the Total Connect Comfort application. Hence, its features are really easy to program and control. It even gives an alert when the filter needs to be changed. Furthermore, this device comes with a 5-year warranty.
- The touch screen is HD
- Gives you a “Change Filter” alert
- You can program up to 7 days through touch screen or app
- The app is easy to use
- Can get integrated with other smart devices in the home
- Needs to be professionally installed
- Price is moderate, not too budget-friendly
- Requires a C-Wire to be installed
Overall, this heat pump thermostat is one of the best thermostats for heat pump out there. However, the device does need to be installed professionally.
2. Emerson Sensi WiFi Thermostat for Smart Home – best wifi heat pump thermostat
- Item Weight: 0.85 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 3.75 x 5.88 x 1 inches
The Emerson Sensi WiFi Thermostat was named as the “Best Value Thermostat 2018” by USA Today. This device is one of the most popular smart thermostats available in the market. As it is a heat pump programmable thermostat all its features are digitally customizable, making it easy to control the indoor climate.
In addition to that, you can easily install the device on your own. This device that is quite possibly the best wifi heat pump thermostat also allows to program the climate by the hour, day, week, or even month. Furthermore, it has impressive features like geofencing to adjust the climate according to your arrival and departure.
- Programmable through app
- Provides Statics and patters about energy consumption
- The device is certified by ENERGY STAR
- Can be installed without professional help
- Has smart alert feature for when temperature or humidity is extreme
- Sometimes users face a periodic loss of Wi-Fi
- Has only a 3-year warranty
All in all, this impressive and budget-friendly device makes your home climate significantly more comfortable. But, some customers have experienced their device losing Wi-Fi periodically.
3. Honeywell RTH7600D – programable thermostats for heat pumps
- Item Weight: 1.1 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 1 x 3.25 inches
The Honeywell RTH7600D gives great value for money because of its impressive features. This device can lower your bill by around 12%. This means that the device would pay for itself within the first year of use. Furthermore, it is very easy to install and doesn’t require professional expertise.
In addition to that, the RTH7600D has a touch screen display which lets you program details according to your preferences. You can program a 7-day schedule having 4 time periods in a day. Additionally, the time that is taken by the heat pump to cool or heat is learned by the device. This lets it adjust according to that information.
- Learns heating and cooling times to control the climate better
- Allows you to schedule 7-day programs
- Sends out alerts for battery and filter changes
- C-wire is required for the heat pump
- Appearance and display information on the screen can’t be changed
Even though you can’t change the information displayed on the touch screen, this device is still one of the best programable thermostats for heat pumps available on the market.
4. Nest T3017US Learning Thermostat – smart thermostat for heat pump
- Item Weight: 1 pound
- Product Dimensions: 3.3 x 1.21 x 3.3 inches
The Nest T3017US thermostat has cutting-edge technology and thus, stands out from other standards devices. This smart thermostat is designed to provide you with a superior and unmatched level of energy efficiency. In addition to that, it is also very easy to use.
The Nest T3017US learns your preferences and habits, and thus it can automatically program and control the climate of your house accordingly. This thermostat can easily cut your annual energy bill by 10-15%. It is also very easy to install and is powered by a lithium-ion battery.
- Installation is easy and only takes up to 30 minutes
- Is compatible with voice control through Alexa or other devices like it
- Certified by ENERGY STAR for its potential to save energy
- Automatically turns on or off according to the user’s location
- The display is bright and shows useful information
- Has phone proximity and motion sensors
- Can be confusing for people who aren’t tech-savvy
- Sometimes automatic programming might not be ideal
Overall, this efficient smart thermostat for heat pump provides complete control over several aspects. However, the automatic programming feature could sometimes be inaccurate due to changing personal preferences.
5. Honeywell YTH6320R1001 – honeywell heat pump thermostat
- Item Weight: 3.2 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 4.38 x 5.56 x 1.25 inches
The Honeywell YTH6320R1001 gives you several impressive features to enjoy. This device is compatible with a wide range of systems, and heat pumps. It is equipped with Redlinkand. Thus, all the HVAC devices in your home can be connected to it.
This device uses wireless technology to integrate with other devices and avoids any possible interference. It also has a backup feature for power outages, in which it maintains the cooling to 82 F and the heating to 62 F until the power is restored.
- Thermostat is wireless
- Redlink lets it connect with other HVAC devices
- Installation is very easy and doesn’t take longer than minutes
- Sometimes the wireless sensors aren’t able to cover the second floor
Overall, this honeywell heat pump thermostat is easy-to-use and one you should take into consideration. However, some users have experienced that the wireless sensors of the device might not reach up to the higher floors of the building.
6. Ecobee4 – best smart thermostat for heat pump
- Item Weight: 1.8 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 7.6 x 7.5 x 3.3 inches
The Ecobee4 is a device that can definitely be considered as one of the best thermostats for heat pumps on the market. This device has a very simple and easy setup. You can control it through the Ecobee application.
Once you install the app, it identifies your system and gives you specific instructions for setup and installation. The device also has a built-in Amazon Alexa speaker. Hence, you can ask the thermostat to tell you the time, weather, or even a recipe.
- Comes with room sensors
- Has built-in Amazon Alexa (with speaker)
- The display is aesthetically pleasing
- Performance if affected if installed too close to a heat source
This is a smart thermostat that also gives you additional impressive features. However, some users have experienced that installing it close to a heat source could affect its performance negatively.
7. Honeywell RTH3100C1002/E1 – honeywell thermostats heat pump
- Item Weight: 0.6 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 1.25 x 5.43 x 3.81 inches
The Honeywell RTH3100C1002/E1 is a great option to consider if you are looking for a simple, mechanical thermostat device. Even though it could come under the electric thermostat type, however, it’s an impressive hybrid. This device has a digital display that is accurate but also has a mechanical style on and off function.
- Special Wiring isn’t needed for installation
- Has On and Auto Functions for Fan
- Works with all kinds of heat pumps
- Price is very budget-friendly
- Installation is very easy
- There are no advance programming options
- Doesn’t give you any data about usage or power consumption
Users who prefer a simpler approach tend to find this device perfect as it doesn’t have the feature of advanced programming. This honeywell thermostats heat pump is specifically designed to be used with heat pumps and hence is compatible with most of them.
All in all, this device delivers a hybrid functionality, making it more attractive. However, it doesn’t provide any data usage or patterns.
After going through all the thermostats in the list, you must have enough information to pick the one that best fits your needs. The advancement of technology has led to revolutionary changes in the functions of thermostats and it is important to know your options. Feel free to choose between a mechanical, electric, or smart thermostat.
Choosing the best thermostats for heat pump at your home can play a vital role in enhancing the comfortability of your indoor climate.
- At what temperature does a heat pump switch to emergency heat?
This feature can vary among different thermostat models. However, most of the thermostats go into emergency heat mode when the temperature reaches around 34 F.
- How do I reset my heat pump?
You can easily reset your heat pump by turning off the power of the thermostat. Keep the thermostat switched off for 1 or 1.5 minutes to let the reset. Then, you should switch the power back on for the thermostat and turn it on.
- What is the purpose of a thermostat?
Thermostat devices are used for regulating the indoor climate by controlling HVAC devices like a heat pump. You would have to manually turn these devices on and off if you have a thermostat.
- How does a thermostat work?
A thermostat device is used to regulate the temperature indoors by controlling the HVAC equipment in the house. It can be used to turn the HVAC devices on and off.
- What are the signs of a bad thermostat?
There a few signs that might indicate that your thermostat isn’t working properly. This might include the thermostat keeps running or stays turned off. You might have to face temperatures higher or lower than what you set. The biggest indicator is the thermostat not turning on.
- Can I save on electricity bills with a smart thermostat?
Yes. This is because smart thermostats can more effectively control the system. Hence, they don’t keep it running for extended periods, or require a lot less power. Thermostats also have the feature of geofencing or knowing when you’re not home so then they run in fan mode or not at all. This reduces energy consumption.
- Do smart thermostats work with heat pumps?
Yes, smart thermostats work with heat pumps. These thermostats allow you to program a lot of functions wirelessly, giving you more complete control over the system. These devices have technologically advanced features like habit learning, geofencing, etc.